NBA Power Rankings
Posted by - Jimmy Boyd
Power rankings are a tool that should be in every handicapper’s arsenal. They provide you with a simple and basic predicted line on a game. Some offer specific numbers whereas others just rank the order of the teams. You can combine power rankings to come up with your own unique take on each team. I don’t have a specific power ranking formula myself, but rather I use a hybrid of several known sources. Below is a list of power rankings that I have found online.
- NBA.com – Updated every Monday and gives just a quick description of the teams last seven days. You can also see offenseive/defensive ratings and pace.
- ESPN – Another ordered list that shows which way teams are trending as well as general thoughts on how they are doing.
- Hollinger – ESPN stat guru John Hollinger provides his power rankings with added weight on how the teams have done recently.
- Fox Sports – Their updated rankings include the best and worst each team has been during the season.
- CBS Sports
- Team Rankings – Adds records for how teams have done against each tier.
- Jeff Sagarin – has three different sets of ratings.
- Nutshell Sports
- Nutshell Girl
- Nutshell Combo
- Compughter Ratings
- Time Travel Sports – shows how the ratings predict the winners of each game that day.
- Bias Free Rankings – gives their entire list plus the daily predictions.
- Sonny Moore
- Point Share
- Director of Information
- Logical Approach
- The Prediction Tracker – compare several different power rankings all in one spot, plus see how each one has done both straight up and against the spread this season.