Two of the NFL’s worst teams look to get a much-needed win in Week 13 as the Chicago Bears play host to the San Francisco 49ers. Kickoff is set for 1:00 EST on Sunday, December 3 at Soldier Field in Chicago. Fans in local markets can watch the game on CBS.
Oddsmakers list the Bears as 3.5-point favorites at home with an over/under of 39.5 points. Click here to check out a full list of the Week 13 betting odds and links to more game previews.
49ers vs Bears Game Betting Preview & Vegas Odds
The big news coming out of San Francisco this week is that Jimmy Garoppolo will finally make his first start for the 1-10 49ers. Garoppolo entered last week’s loss to Seattle late, going 2 for 2, including a touchdown pass to Louis Murphy.
Of course, what the 49ers can expect from Garoppolo is still a bit of a mystery. He may not yet know the entire playbook, so the 49ers may not be limited offensively. Also, it’s important to remember that Garoppolo has less than 100 pass attempts in his NFL career, so he could still experience the same kinds of growing pains as other young quarterbacks.
Of course, the 3-8 Bears know all about the growing pains of young quarterbacks from Mitchell Trubisky. He’s had his moments this season, but Trubisky is still completing just 52% of his passes on the season, with four touchdowns and four interceptions.
Both Trubisky and the Bears are coming off a rough outing last week against the Eagles. To be fair, most teams have had long days when playing the Eagles this year. But the Bears were particularly bad last week, gaining just 140 total yards. They’ll need to do a lot better than to snap their four-game losing streak.
Free NFL Pick Against the Spread: 49ers +3.5
This is a tough call because the Bears have played well at home this year. But I’m still going to lean toward San Francisco and the points. I think Garoppolo will provide the kind of boost the 49ers are hoping to get from him. The 49ers have also been surprisingly competitive on the road this season. That makes me think this will at least be a field goal game, allowing San Francisco to beat the spread.
Officially, the 49ers are 0-5 on the road this season. But outside of their loss to the Eagles, their other four road losses have all come by a field goal or less. San Francisco may not be a good team, but they’ve rarely allowed themselves to be humiliated. The 49ers will also see a trip to Chicago as a great chance to grab a win, so they’ll be ready to play.
Click on the link for more free NFL betting predictions from our experts on staff.
Even if the playbook is limited, the presence of Garoppolo should give the 49ers some added confidence. Running back Carlos Hyde has also played better the past couple of weeks, which could help take some of the pressure of Garoppolo. The 49ers will also be facing a Bears defense that’s allowed at least 23 points in each of the last three weeks, so there could be some opportunities for San Francisco to put points on the board.
More importantly, if the Bears are going to cover a 3.5-point spread, they’ll have to find the end zone at least a couple of times. Trubisky isn’t yet ready to carry the offense on his shoulders, so the Bears will need to have success running the ball.
However, the San Francisco defense has done a decent job of containing the running game in recent weeks. If the Bears can’t create explosive plays on the ground, it’ll be tough to build and maintain a comfortable lead against the 49ers.
Ultimately, I expect this to be a close, low-scoring game. Considering Chicago’s struggles this year and San Francisco’s propensity for playing close games on the road, this feels like a field goal game. That makes it a little easier to side with the 49ers and the points.
- Expert Betting Tips: How to Handicap AFC & NFC Championship Games
- Super Bowl 52 Betting Predictions: Favorites & Odds For Every Team
- NFL Game Preview & Free Pick Against the Spread: Jags vs Pats
- Vegas Game Preview & Betting Pick: Vikings vs Eagles
- Vegas Game Preview & Free Betting Pick: Saints vs Vikings
- Vegas Betting Preview: Jaguars vs Steelers Game Odds & Free Pick
- Vegas Game Preview: Titans vs Patriots Preview & Pick
- Vegas Spread Preview: Falcons vs Eagles Game Line & Free Betting Pick
- Free Wild Card NFL Teaser Pick – Best Available Odds & Predictions
- Saints vs Panthers
- Vegas NFL Betting Preview & Free ATS Pick: Bills vs Jags
- Vegas Betting Preview: Falcons vs Rams Game Line & Free Pick
- Vegas Spread Predictions: Titans vs Chiefs Betting Odds & Game Pick
- Handicapping Repeat Divisional Matchups in the NFL Playoffs
- Cardinals vs Seahawks
- Vegas Betting Preview: Chargers vs Raiders Game Odds & Free Pick
- Giants vs Redskins
- Texans vs Colts
- NFL Game Preview & Betting Pick: Lions vs Packers
- Vegas NFL Game Preview: Eagles vs Cowboys