Two of the NFL’s worst teams look to get a much-needed win in Week 13 as the Chicago Bears play host to the San Francisco 49ers. Kickoff is set for 1:00 EST on Sunday, December 3 at Soldier Field in Chicago. Fans in local markets can watch the game on CBS.
Oddsmakers list the Bears as 3.5-point favorites at home with an over/under of 39.5 points. Click here to check out a full list of the Week 13 betting odds and links to more game previews.
49ers vs Bears Game Betting Preview & Vegas Odds
The big news coming out of San Francisco this week is that Jimmy Garoppolo will finally make his first start for the 1-10 49ers. Garoppolo entered last week’s loss to Seattle late, going 2 for 2, including a touchdown pass to Louis Murphy.
Of course, what the 49ers can expect from Garoppolo is still a bit of a mystery. He may not yet know the entire playbook, so the 49ers may not be limited offensively. Also, it’s important to remember that Garoppolo has less than 100 pass attempts in his NFL career, so he could still experience the same kinds of growing pains as other young quarterbacks.
Of course, the 3-8 Bears know all about the growing pains of young quarterbacks from Mitchell Trubisky. He’s had his moments this season, but Trubisky is still completing just 52% of his passes on the season, with four touchdowns and four interceptions.
Both Trubisky and the Bears are coming off a rough outing last week against the Eagles. To be fair, most teams have had long days when playing the Eagles this year. But the Bears were particularly bad last week, gaining just 140 total yards. They’ll need to do a lot better than to snap their four-game losing streak.
Free NFL Pick Against the Spread: 49ers +3.5
This is a tough call because the Bears have played well at home this year. But I’m still going to lean toward San Francisco and the points. I think Garoppolo will provide the kind of boost the 49ers are hoping to get from him. The 49ers have also been surprisingly competitive on the road this season. That makes me think this will at least be a field goal game, allowing San Francisco to beat the spread.
Officially, the 49ers are 0-5 on the road this season. But outside of their loss to the Eagles, their other four road losses have all come by a field goal or less. San Francisco may not be a good team, but they’ve rarely allowed themselves to be humiliated. The 49ers will also see a trip to Chicago as a great chance to grab a win, so they’ll be ready to play.
Click on the link for more free NFL betting predictions from our experts on staff.
Even if the playbook is limited, the presence of Garoppolo should give the 49ers some added confidence. Running back Carlos Hyde has also played better the past couple of weeks, which could help take some of the pressure of Garoppolo. The 49ers will also be facing a Bears defense that’s allowed at least 23 points in each of the last three weeks, so there could be some opportunities for San Francisco to put points on the board.
More importantly, if the Bears are going to cover a 3.5-point spread, they’ll have to find the end zone at least a couple of times. Trubisky isn’t yet ready to carry the offense on his shoulders, so the Bears will need to have success running the ball.
However, the San Francisco defense has done a decent job of containing the running game in recent weeks. If the Bears can’t create explosive plays on the ground, it’ll be tough to build and maintain a comfortable lead against the 49ers.
Ultimately, I expect this to be a close, low-scoring game. Considering Chicago’s struggles this year and San Francisco’s propensity for playing close games on the road, this feels like a field goal game. That makes it a little easier to side with the 49ers and the points.
- Week 1 NFL Betting Lines: Vegas Point Spreads & Game Totals
- Predicting the 2018 NFL Draft: Mock 1st Round Selections
- Super Bowl 53 Betting Predictions: Favorites & Odds For Every Team
- Amount Bet on the Super Bowl & How Much Vegas Won
- Super Bowl Prop Bet Results
- Cost of Super Bowl Commercial Prices Over the Years (30-Seconds)
- Super Bowl Pool Gambling Games: 10×10-Square Grid & Prop Bet Sheet
- List of Available Prop Bets for Super Bowl 52
- Super Bowl Tickets Prices – Average Cost & How They Are Distributed
- Best Las Vegas Casinos/Sportsbooks to Bet & Watch the Super Bowl
- Super Bowl Sunday Party Ideas & Tips For Hosting the Big Game
- Complete History of the Super Bowl Curse & Host City
- Betting Super Bowl 52: Odds to Win the MVP Award
- History of the NFL Super Bowl Championship Rings
- Complete List of Players Who Have Won the Super Bowl MVP Trophy
- List of Quarterbacks With Multiple Super Bowl Starts
- Most Super Bowl Wins – NFL Teams With Multiple Rings & Championships
- Historical Super Bowl Lines: Past Las Vegas Point Spread & Totals
- Super Bowl Upsets – Top 5 Biggest Surprises in NFL History
- Super Bowl History – Look at the Worst Chokes of All-Time