Fierce division rivals collide on Monday night when the Minnesota Vikings face the Chicago Bears. Kickoff is at 8:30 EST on Monday, October 9 at Soldier Field in Chicago. The game will be televised nationally on ESPN.
This game opened with the Vikings as 3.5-point road favorites. However, with early betting heavy in Chicago’s favor, the line has become a PK. Click here for a full list of the Week 5 betting odds and links to more game previews.
Bears vs Vikings Vegas Spread Preview
Monday will mark the first NFL start for quarterback Mitchell Trubisky. Of course, Chicago’s 1-3 start can hardly be blamed entirely on Mike Glennon. The Bears haven’t exactly been stout defensively this year. Nevertheless, head coach John Fox, who may be coaching just to keep his job, has decided to turn things over to Trubisky in hopes that he’ll give the Bears a spark before it’s too late.
The Vikings also have an unsettled quarterback situation. Sam Bradford looked great in the season opener against the Saints but hasn’t played since because of a knee injury. Case Keenum has started the last three weeks, and while he’s had his ups and downs, he’s at least avoided turnovers. There’s no clarity on Bradford, although he’s hopeful that he’ll be able to play Monday night.
As we all know, this rivalry goes back a long time. The home team won both meetings last year, although the Vikings have won four out of the last five in the series.
Free Betting Pick & Predictions: Vikings
Whether it’s Bradford or Keenum who gets the start on Monday, I’ll take the quarterback I know over the one I don’t know. Minnesota also has the better defensive team, so I’ll lean toward the Vikings to win on the road.
Amidst the quarterback questions, Minnesota’s defense has played well early in the season. They kept Matthew Stafford under wraps last week, even in a loss, and forced three turnovers from Jameis Winston the week before. It’s a unit that should be able to have the upper hand against a rookie making his first career start.
Click on the link for more free NFL betting predictions from our experts on staff.
The best thing the Bears can do in this game to help Trubisky is run the ball effectively. The tandem of Jordan Howard and Tarik Cohen has worked well in three of Chicago’s first four games this year.
The bad news is that only the Steelers have rushed for more than 100 yards against the Vikings this season, and they barely got to the century mark. The Bears will need to find a way to get consistent gains against the Minnesota run defense or Trubisky could be in trouble. After all, the Bears don’t exactly have an elite group of wide receivers, as Cohen leads the team in targets.
Offensively, the Vikings have questions too. Bradford’s status is still unknown and running back Dalvin Cook is now out for the season. The good news is that Latavius Murray should be able to step in for Cook without a huge drop-off. Also, even if Keenum gets another start, he’s yet to turn the ball over this season and he’ll be facing a defense that’s yet to intercept a pass this year.
Barring a brilliant performance from Trubisky in his debut, I expect the Vikings to win Monday night. Minnesota has a good enough defense to make things tough on the rookie, and the Vikings have enough playmakers on offense to score some points. Expect a close game, but expect the Vikings to be the better team.
- Giants vs Redskins
- Vegas NFL Betting Preview & Game Free Pick: Chargers vs Cowboys
- Vikings vs Lions
- Super Bowl 52 Betting Predictions: Favorites & Odds For Every Team
- Week 12 NFL Betting Lines: Vegas Point Spreads & Game Totals
- Favorites Dominate NFL Thanksgiving Day Games
- Free NFL Game Preview & ATS Pick: Patriots vs Raiders
- Vegas Game Preview: Bengals vs Broncos Game Preview & Pick
- Vegas Betting Preview & Game Odds: Jags vs Browns Free ATS Pick
- Vegas NFL Game Preview: Eagles vs Cowboys
- Vegas Game Preview: Buccaneers vs Dolphins Game Preview & Pick
- Free NFL Game Preview & ATS Pick: Chiefs vs Giants
- Vegas NFL Game Preview: Bills vs Chargers
- Bears vs Lions
- Seahawks vs Falcons
- NFL Game Odds & Vegas Betting Preview: Cardinals vs Texans
- Vegas NFL Game Preview & Free ATS Pick: Redskins vs Saints
- NFL Game Odds & Free Betting Preview: Rams vs Vikings ATS Pick
- Vegas NFL Betting Preview & Game Odds: Ravens vs Packers Free Pick
- Free Week 11 NFL Teaser Pick – Best Available Odds & Predictions