Two teams that just broke long playoff droughts will meet in the Wild Card Round of the playoffs when the Buffalo Bills visit the Jacksonville Jaguars. Game time is set for 1:05 EST on Sunday, January 7 at EverBank Field in Jacksonville, Florida. The game will be broadcast on CBS. Oddsmakers view the Jaguars as 9-point favorites with an over/under of 39.5 points.
Bills vs Jags Vegas Betting Line & Game Preview
The Jags backed into the playoffs after losing their last two regular season games. Nevertheless, Jacksonville won the AFC South with a 10-6 record and is in the playoffs for the first time since 2007. The Jags got it done the old-fashioned in 2017, winning games behind the league’s top rushing attack and second best defense.
The Bills, meanwhile, won four of their last six games, losing only to the Patriots during that span, to reach the playoffs for the first time in 17 years. They also got a little help from the Bengals, who knocked off the Ravens in Week 17 to open up the final wild-card spot. Buffalo will now be hoping to make the best of their opportunity after an extended absence from the postseason.
Of course, an interesting subplot to this game is the fact that Jacksonville head coach Doug Marrone used to coach the Bills. Marrone left Buffalo abruptly after leading the Bills to a 9-7 season in 2014. Bills fans have not forgotten how Marrone left and are hoping their team can provide some redemption in the form of a playoff win against their former coach.
Free NFL Betting Prediction: Jaguars -9
I don’t like swallowing this many points in a playoff game, but I believe the Jags are a superior team. Admittedly, Jacksonville has not played well the past couple of weeks. However, if the Jaguars play anywhere close to their best, they’re better than the Bills on both sides of the ball. I’ll take my chances with Jacksonville getting back on track and winning by double digits.
I don’t want to overreact to Jacksonville’s struggles the past couple of weeks, especially with both games coming on the road. Blake Bortles threw five interceptions in those two games after throwing just eight in the previous 14, so I see that more as an aberration than a trend.
It’s also important to keep in mind that Jacksonville’s defense wasn’t the problem last week. The Jags have also won five straight home games, so being back in Jacksonville should also help. If Bortles and the Jags can simply get back to avoiding turnovers, they should be in good shape.
Click on the link for more free NFL betting predictions from our experts on staff.
Of course, it’s vital that the Jags get back to running the ball effectively. Leonard Fournette has been contained the past couple of weeks, which is a bad sign. However, the Buffalo defense is toward the bottom of the league in run defense, so I expect Fournette to get going and have a good game on Sunday.
Meanwhile, I have some concerns about Buffalo’s offense, largely because of the health of LeSean McCoy, who is a game-time decision after suffering an ankle injury last week. McCoy is Buffalo’s most important offensive player. If he can’t play or is limited, the Bills will have a hard time moving the ball against the Jacksonville defense.
Remember, the Jags were second in the NFL this season in points allowed, sacks, and interceptions. The Bills don’t have a suitable backup for McCoy, and if they can’t run the ball, Tyrod Taylor is likely to struggle. Buffalo’s offense is centered around McCoy, and without him, it’ll be an uphill battle against one of the league’s top defenses.
All things considered, the Bills will need a lot of good fortune to win this game. I don’t see McCoy being anywhere close to 100% healthy, even if he does play. That means a defensive slugfest is Buffalo’s only path to victory, and I just don’t see the Jags losing that way at home. The Bills will put up a fight, but I think the Jaguars will run the ball effectively and continue to play strong defense. That translates to a comfortable win that covers the 9-point spread.
- Week 1 NFL Betting Lines: Vegas Point Spreads & Game Totals
- Predicting the 2018 NFL Draft: Mock 1st Round Selections
- Super Bowl 53 Betting Predictions: Favorites & Odds For Every Team
- Amount Bet on the Super Bowl & How Much Vegas Won
- Super Bowl Prop Bet Results
- Cost of Super Bowl Commercial Prices Over the Years (30-Seconds)
- Super Bowl Pool Gambling Games: 10×10-Square Grid & Prop Bet Sheet
- List of Available Prop Bets for Super Bowl 52
- Super Bowl Tickets Prices – Average Cost & How They Are Distributed
- Best Las Vegas Casinos/Sportsbooks to Bet & Watch the Super Bowl
- Super Bowl Sunday Party Ideas & Tips For Hosting the Big Game
- Complete History of the Super Bowl Curse & Host City
- Betting Super Bowl 52: Odds to Win the MVP Award
- History of the NFL Super Bowl Championship Rings
- Complete List of Players Who Have Won the Super Bowl MVP Trophy
- List of Quarterbacks With Multiple Super Bowl Starts
- Most Super Bowl Wins – NFL Teams With Multiple Rings & Championships
- Historical Super Bowl Lines: Past Las Vegas Point Spread & Totals
- Super Bowl Upsets – Top 5 Biggest Surprises in NFL History
- Super Bowl History – Look at the Worst Chokes of All-Time