This Sunday the Denver Broncos (5-10) will host the Kansas City Chiefs (9-6) in what’s turned out to be a meaningless AFC West showdown. Kickoff is set for 4:25 EST at at Sports Authority Field and will be televised locally on CBS.
Oddsmakers currently have the Broncos listed as a 3.5-point home favorite with the total set at 38.5 points. Check out our Week 17 odds page for a full betting schedule and for more links to our game previews.
Chiefs vs Broncos Vegas Betting Odds & Game Preview
Kansas City comes in off a 29-13 win at home over the Dolphins as a 10.5-point favorite. With the win the Chiefs clinched the AFC West title, giving them back-to-back division titles for the first time in franchise history. It concluded an impressive turnaround for KC, who looked like they might somehow miss the playoffs after their 5-0 start.
Denver enters off an ugly 11-27 loss at Washington as a 3-point underdog. The defeat came after a couple of strong showings the previous two weeks against the Jets and Colts, where they outscored those two opponents 48-13.
These two teams played back in Week 8 at Kansas City, which the Chiefs won 29-19. That was Kansas City’s only win during their dreadful 1-6 stretch during the middle portion of the schedule. It was also their 4th straight win in the series.
NFL Betting Predictions & Free ATS Pick: Chiefs +3.5
I would have to lean towards taking the points with Kansas City in the regular-season finale. While nothing has been made official, the expectation here is for the Chiefs to rest a good number of their starters, as they are locked into the No. 4 seed regardless of the outcome on Sunday.
Click here for more free NFL picks from our experts on staff.
Once that news becomes official, I could see a lot of people looking to back the Broncos at home, as the perception will be that the Chiefs are just punting this game. While this clearly won’t be the same Kansas City team that’s won 3 straight, I don’t expect this team to just lay down against Denver.
In fact, I think it will be the Broncos who have the much harder time getting motivated for this game, especially now that there’s no chance of them playing spoiler. Denver clearly didn’t look interested in last week’s game against the Redskins and I have a hard time seeing them being excited about playing a bunch of backups.
All signs point to this being a matchup of two young quarterbacks. With Alex Smith likely to be one of the starters that gets the week off, rookie Patrick Mahomes will get the start for the Chiefs. Denver on the other hand is expected to give Paxton Lynch the start.
While Mahomes is making his first ever start, the reviews of him have been nothing but encouraging and I expect the KC offense to have no problem moving the ball. On the flip side of this, there’s not the same optimism surrounding Lynch and his ability to get a bad Broncos offense on track.
Keep in mind that while the Chiefs will be sitting some starters, there are still going to be a number of starters playing, as the rosters simply aren’t big enough to sit every one. I think there’s going to be more than enough talent on the field and most importantly, Kansas City figures to be the more motivated side in this one. I think they win here outright, but I’ll gladly take the 3.5 as some added insurance. Give me the Chiefs +3.5!
- Week 1 NFL Betting Lines: Vegas Point Spreads & Game Totals
- Predicting the 2018 NFL Draft: Mock 1st Round Selections
- Super Bowl 53 Betting Predictions: Favorites & Odds For Every Team
- Amount Bet on the Super Bowl & How Much Vegas Won
- Super Bowl Prop Bet Results
- Cost of Super Bowl Commercial Prices Over the Years (30-Seconds)
- Super Bowl Pool Gambling Games: 10×10-Square Grid & Prop Bet Sheet
- List of Available Prop Bets for Super Bowl 52
- Super Bowl Tickets Prices – Average Cost & How They Are Distributed
- Best Las Vegas Casinos/Sportsbooks to Bet & Watch the Super Bowl
- Super Bowl Sunday Party Ideas & Tips For Hosting the Big Game
- Complete History of the Super Bowl Curse & Host City
- Betting Super Bowl 52: Odds to Win the MVP Award
- History of the NFL Super Bowl Championship Rings
- Complete List of Players Who Have Won the Super Bowl MVP Trophy
- List of Quarterbacks With Multiple Super Bowl Starts
- Most Super Bowl Wins – NFL Teams With Multiple Rings & Championships
- Historical Super Bowl Lines: Past Las Vegas Point Spread & Totals
- Super Bowl Upsets – Top 5 Biggest Surprises in NFL History
- Super Bowl History – Look at the Worst Chokes of All-Time