The Cleveland Browns are still searching for that elusive first win of the season in Week 16 as they visit the Chicago Bears. The game is scheduled for 1:00 EST on Sunday, December 24 at Soldier Field in Chicago. Fans in local markets can watch the game on CBS.
Oddsmakers list the Bears as 6.5-point favorites at home. The over/under is set at 38 points. Click here for a full list of the Week 16 betting odds and links to more game previews.
Browns vs Bears Game Betting Preview & Vegas Odds
The Browns are desperate to avoid a winless season, especially after winning just one game last season. Unfortunately, time is running out and some of their recent performances haven’t been all that promising. Last week against the Ravens, the Browns turned the ball over four times in a 27-10 loss. They’re going to need to be a lot better if they’re going to win one of their last two games.
Of course, the Bears haven’t been much better this season. Chicago is just 4-10, with six losses in their last seven games. The Bears had an impressive road win against the Bengals a couple weeks ago, but they couldn’t build off that momentum last week in a loss to the Lions. Obviously, the Bears have nothing left to play for this season and may be about to go through a coaching change, so it’s unclear how motivated they’ll be to play a winless team this week.
Free Pro Football Pick Against the Spread: Bears -6.5
To be honest, I don’t feel great about this pick. On the surface, swallowing 6.5 points for a team that’s 4-10 doesn’t seem like a great idea. I also think the Browns will look at a team like the Bears and see their chance to get a win. However, I have no faith in Cleveland at this point. I’ll take my chances with the Bears winning by at least a touchdown.
It’s not that the Browns are incapable of staying competitive with the Bears, it’s that Cleveland has been especially bad on the road this season. Cleveland’s six road losses have come by an average of almost 12 points. Just one of those six games was lost by less than a touchdown, and that was against the Colts early in the season.
Click on the link for more free NFL betting predictions from our experts on staff.
Meanwhile, the Bears have won two of their seven home games this year and lost the rest by a touchdown or less. Clearly, the Bears are at their best when they play at home. The same has been true for rookie quarterback Mitchell Trubisky, who has thrown just one interception in the five home games he’s started. He’s also coming off his first ever 300-yard passing game, which is a sign of growth for the young quarterback.
I also look at how these two teams matchup against one another and struggle to find an area where the Browns have an edge. Chicago’s quarterback has been better at avoiding mistakes and turnovers. The Bears have also been a little more consistent running the ball and more able to slow down teams defensively. Cleveland may have better receivers with Josh Gordon and Corey Coleman in the mix. But that advantage is mitigated without a competent quarterback to get them the ball.
Obviously, this figures to be a rather ugly team between two of the worst teams in the league. I do give the Browns some chance to steal their first win of the season in Chicago. However, I believe the Bears are better in most areas. They’ve also played well at home this year, so I’ll take my chances with Chicago being able to win and cover the spread.
- Week 1 NFL Betting Lines: Vegas Point Spreads & Game Totals
- Predicting the 2018 NFL Draft: Mock 1st Round Selections
- Super Bowl 53 Betting Predictions: Favorites & Odds For Every Team
- Amount Bet on the Super Bowl & How Much Vegas Won
- Super Bowl Prop Bet Results
- Cost of Super Bowl Commercial Prices Over the Years (30-Seconds)
- Super Bowl Pool Gambling Games: 10×10-Square Grid & Prop Bet Sheet
- List of Available Prop Bets for Super Bowl 52
- Super Bowl Tickets Prices – Average Cost & How They Are Distributed
- Best Las Vegas Casinos/Sportsbooks to Bet & Watch the Super Bowl
- Super Bowl Sunday Party Ideas & Tips For Hosting the Big Game
- Complete History of the Super Bowl Curse & Host City
- Betting Super Bowl 52: Odds to Win the MVP Award
- History of the NFL Super Bowl Championship Rings
- Complete List of Players Who Have Won the Super Bowl MVP Trophy
- List of Quarterbacks With Multiple Super Bowl Starts
- Most Super Bowl Wins – NFL Teams With Multiple Rings & Championships
- Historical Super Bowl Lines: Past Las Vegas Point Spread & Totals
- Super Bowl Upsets – Top 5 Biggest Surprises in NFL History
- Super Bowl History – Look at the Worst Chokes of All-Time