The Cleveland Browns are still searching for that elusive first win of the season in Week 16 as they visit the Chicago Bears. The game is scheduled for 1:00 EST on Sunday, December 24 at Soldier Field in Chicago. Fans in local markets can watch the game on CBS.
Oddsmakers list the Bears as 6.5-point favorites at home. The over/under is set at 38 points. Click here for a full list of the Week 16 betting odds and links to more game previews.
Browns vs Bears Game Betting Preview & Vegas Odds
The Browns are desperate to avoid a winless season, especially after winning just one game last season. Unfortunately, time is running out and some of their recent performances haven’t been all that promising. Last week against the Ravens, the Browns turned the ball over four times in a 27-10 loss. They’re going to need to be a lot better if they’re going to win one of their last two games.
Of course, the Bears haven’t been much better this season. Chicago is just 4-10, with six losses in their last seven games. The Bears had an impressive road win against the Bengals a couple weeks ago, but they couldn’t build off that momentum last week in a loss to the Lions. Obviously, the Bears have nothing left to play for this season and may be about to go through a coaching change, so it’s unclear how motivated they’ll be to play a winless team this week.
Free Pro Football Pick Against the Spread: Bears -6.5
To be honest, I don’t feel great about this pick. On the surface, swallowing 6.5 points for a team that’s 4-10 doesn’t seem like a great idea. I also think the Browns will look at a team like the Bears and see their chance to get a win. However, I have no faith in Cleveland at this point. I’ll take my chances with the Bears winning by at least a touchdown.
It’s not that the Browns are incapable of staying competitive with the Bears, it’s that Cleveland has been especially bad on the road this season. Cleveland’s six road losses have come by an average of almost 12 points. Just one of those six games was lost by less than a touchdown, and that was against the Colts early in the season.
Click on the link for more free NFL betting predictions from our experts on staff.
Meanwhile, the Bears have won two of their seven home games this year and lost the rest by a touchdown or less. Clearly, the Bears are at their best when they play at home. The same has been true for rookie quarterback Mitchell Trubisky, who has thrown just one interception in the five home games he’s started. He’s also coming off his first ever 300-yard passing game, which is a sign of growth for the young quarterback.
I also look at how these two teams matchup against one another and struggle to find an area where the Browns have an edge. Chicago’s quarterback has been better at avoiding mistakes and turnovers. The Bears have also been a little more consistent running the ball and more able to slow down teams defensively. Cleveland may have better receivers with Josh Gordon and Corey Coleman in the mix. But that advantage is mitigated without a competent quarterback to get them the ball.
Obviously, this figures to be a rather ugly team between two of the worst teams in the league. I do give the Browns some chance to steal their first win of the season in Chicago. However, I believe the Bears are better in most areas. They’ve also played well at home this year, so I’ll take my chances with Chicago being able to win and cover the spread.
- Expert Betting Tips: How to Handicap AFC & NFC Championship Games
- Super Bowl 52 Betting Predictions: Favorites & Odds For Every Team
- NFL Game Preview & Free Pick Against the Spread: Jags vs Pats
- Vegas Game Preview & Betting Pick: Vikings vs Eagles
- Vegas Game Preview & Free Betting Pick: Saints vs Vikings
- Vegas Betting Preview: Jaguars vs Steelers Game Odds & Free Pick
- Vegas Game Preview: Titans vs Patriots Preview & Pick
- Vegas Spread Preview: Falcons vs Eagles Game Line & Free Betting Pick
- Free Wild Card NFL Teaser Pick – Best Available Odds & Predictions
- Saints vs Panthers
- Vegas NFL Betting Preview & Free ATS Pick: Bills vs Jags
- Vegas Betting Preview: Falcons vs Rams Game Line & Free Pick
- Vegas Spread Predictions: Titans vs Chiefs Betting Odds & Game Pick
- Handicapping Repeat Divisional Matchups in the NFL Playoffs
- Cardinals vs Seahawks
- Vegas Betting Preview: Chargers vs Raiders Game Odds & Free Pick
- Giants vs Redskins
- Texans vs Colts
- NFL Game Preview & Betting Pick: Lions vs Packers
- Vegas NFL Game Preview: Eagles vs Cowboys