The Indianapolis Colts will look to avoid finishing last in the AFC South when they host the Houston Texans in Week 17. Kickoff is set for 1:00 EST on Sunday, December 31 at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis. Fans in local markets can watch the game on CBS.
This game initially opened as a PK. However, public betting has heavily favored the Colts, making Indianapolis a 4.5-point favorite. The over/under is set at 41 points. Click here for a full list of the Week 17 betting odds and links to more game previews.
Texans vs Colts Vegas Odds Preview
With Andrew Luck on the shelf with a shoulder injury all season, this has definitely been a long season for the Colts. Indy enters Week 17 with a 3-12 record and a six-game losing streak. To his credit, Jacoby Brissett has proven himself to be a suitable backup. But he can’t compensate for a bad roster the way Luck can when healthy. Of course, with or without Luck, such a bad season and three straight years without going to the playoffs is likely to cost Chuck Pagano his job.
The Texans, meanwhile, have endured similar difficulties. Houston is currently 4-11, with losses in eight of their last nine games. Most of those losses came after Deshaun Watson was lost for the season. Having J.J. Watt miss most of the season didn’t exactly help either. Fortunately for Houston head coach Bill O’Brien, he’s likely to be back next season despite the team’s struggles in 2017.
The last time the Colts won a game was in Week 9 when they played the Texans, beating Houston 20-14. Brissett played one of his best games that day, outshining Tom Savage. If the Colts can beat the Texans on Sunday, they’ll tie Houston on record and sneak ahead of them in the standings based on their sweep. This game doesn’t mean much, but both teams will definitely want to avoid finishing last in the AFC South.
Free Betting Pick & Predictions: Colts -4.5
This is a lot of points to swallow for a team that has just three wins on the season. But I’m going to side with the public in this game and lean toward the Colts. Despite their inability to get a win, the Colts have continued to play close and competitive games late in the season. I can’t say the same for Houston, so I’ll take my chances with Indy at home.
The Colts may have lost six games in a row, but four of those games have been decided by a touchdown or less, all of which have come against teams still alive in the playoff race. Houston, on the other hand, has lost their last five games by an average of almost 19 points. Over the last two weeks, the Texans have been outscored 79-13. It seems as if they have mentally checked out this season.
Click on the link for more free NFL betting predictions from our experts on staff.
Houston’s biggest problem is at quarterback, as Savage has joined Watson on the shelf, forcing the Texans to go with T.J. Yates the last three games. Yates himself got knocked out with a concussion last week. Even if he’s able to play this week, he’s completed just 45% of his passes this year. The Indianapolis defense is one of the worst in the NFL. But I give the Colts a chance to have a good game against Yates.
Meanwhile, Brissett keeps plugging along. Even if the results haven’t been good, he’s gained valuable experience. More importantly, he threw for over 300 yards and two touchdowns against the Texans earlier this year. The Houston defense hasn’t gotten any better since then, so there’s reason to think Brissett will have another good game.
On record, there’s little to differentiate these two teams from one another. But the Colts have continued to play their best and fight late in the season. I can’t say the same about the Texans. That gives me confidence that Indy will win their season finale by a comfortable margin and beat the spread.
- Expert Betting Tips: How to Handicap AFC & NFC Championship Games
- Super Bowl 52 Betting Predictions: Favorites & Odds For Every Team
- NFL Game Preview & Free Pick Against the Spread: Jags vs Pats
- Vegas Game Preview & Betting Pick: Vikings vs Eagles
- Vegas Game Preview & Free Betting Pick: Saints vs Vikings
- Vegas Betting Preview: Jaguars vs Steelers Game Odds & Free Pick
- Vegas Game Preview: Titans vs Patriots Preview & Pick
- Vegas Spread Preview: Falcons vs Eagles Game Line & Free Betting Pick
- Free Wild Card NFL Teaser Pick – Best Available Odds & Predictions
- Saints vs Panthers
- Vegas NFL Betting Preview & Free ATS Pick: Bills vs Jags
- Vegas Betting Preview: Falcons vs Rams Game Line & Free Pick
- Vegas Spread Predictions: Titans vs Chiefs Betting Odds & Game Pick
- Handicapping Repeat Divisional Matchups in the NFL Playoffs
- Cardinals vs Seahawks
- Vegas Betting Preview: Chargers vs Raiders Game Odds & Free Pick
- Giants vs Redskins
- NFL Game Preview & Betting Pick: Lions vs Packers
- Vegas NFL Game Preview: Eagles vs Cowboys
- Vegas Betting Odds: Steelers vs Browns Preview & Game Pick