This Sunday the Dallas Cowboys will host the Green Bay Packers in the NFC Divisional Round. Kickoff is set for 4:40 EST at AT&T Stadium and will be televised on FOX. Oddsmakers have Dallas as a 4-point home favorite with the total at 52 points. Click here for a complete look at the NFL betting odds for this weekend.
Packers vs Cowboys Vegas Betting Preview
Green Bay comes in off a 38-13 blowout win at home over the Giants. The final outcome doesn’t tell the whole story. New York dominated the first 27 minutes of that game. They led 6-0 before Green Bay scored to make it 7-6 with 2:20 to play in the 1st half. The turning point was a 42-yard Hail Mary pass at the end of the half that put the Packers up 14-6. The Giants defense just wasn’t the same after that.
Dallas enjoyed the week off during the Wild Card Round. The Cowboys locked up the No. 1 seed in the NFC with a 13-3 record. It was a season that few saw coming after the injury to Tony Romo in the preseason. Rookies Dak Prescott and Ezekiel Elliot put this team on their back and the rest is history. It’s only the second time since they won their last Super Bowl that Dallas earned a first round bye.
These two teams met in Week 6 of the regular season at Green Bay. The Cowboys won that contest 30-16 as a 5-point dog. Prescott threw for 247 yards and 3 scores, while Elliot rushed for 157 yards on 28 attempts.
Free Pick & Betting Predictions: Cowboys -4
The betting public will certainly be on Green Bay given the run Rodgers and the Packers are on. While it’s tough betting against Rodgers when he’s playing like this, I like the Cowboys here. Dallas is simply the better team and have the ability to counter Rodgers and the Packers offense.
Click on the link for more free NFL football picks from our expert handicappers.
One of the best ways to beat a team that has an elite quarterback like Rodgers, is not let him have the ball. Unlike the Giants, the Cowboys can do just that. Dallas’ offensive line will have their way with Green Bay’s front. That will lead to a big day from Elliot and the running game. Something they had no answer for in the first meeting.
I also think Prescott will be able to expose the Packers secondary. Keep in mind Eli Manning and the Giants had their chances. They just didn’t catch the football. Manning was also under constant pressure.
An even bigger factor here is the injuries that Green Bay sustained in the win over New York. The biggest being wide out Jordy Nelson, who figures to be unlikely to play. Running back/wide out Ty Montgomery is probable, but will likely be less than 100%. Inside linebacker Blake Martinez is also questionable. That would be another big loss, given how well Dallas runs the football.
The other thing that gets overlooked and has been all season is the Cowboys defense. It might not have the star names, but it produced at a high level. The Cowboys led the league in run defense (83.5 ypg) and were 5th in points allowed (19.1 ppg). It’s also not like Rodgers had a bad game in the first meeting. He went 31 of 42 (74%) for 294 yards.
- Vegas NFL Betting Preview & Game Odds: Titans vs 49ers Free Pick
- Bears vs Lions
- Chiefs vs Chargers
- Week 15 NFL Betting Lines: Vegas Point Spreads & Game Totals
- Free NFL Game Preview & ATS Pick: Colts vs Bills
- Vegas Betting Odds & Game Preview: Lions vs Bucs Free Pick
- NFL Game Preview & Free ATS Pick: Dolphins vs Patriots
- Vegas NFL Betting Preview & Game Odds: Jets vs Broncos Free Pick
- Free NFL Betting Preview & Pick Against the Spread: Seahawks vs Jags
- Last Man Standing NFL Survivor or Suicide Pool Picks for Week 14
- Free Week 14 NFL Teaser Pick – Best Available Odds & Predictions
- NFL Betting Preview & Free Pick Against the Spread: Eagles vs Rams
- Vegas Betting Preview: Redskins vs Chargers Game Odds & Predictions
- Vegas Spread Predictions: Titans vs Cardinals Betting Odds & Free Pick
- Ravens vs Steelers
- Vegas Odds Preview: Bears vs Bengals Game Line & Free Pick
- Vegas Betting Odds & Game Preview: Giants vs Cowboys Free Pick
- Vegas NFL Betting Preview & Free ATS Pick: 49ers vs Texans
- Vikings vs Panthers
- Chiefs vs Raiders