The Philadelphia Eagles play their final tuneup before the playoffs when they host the Dallas Cowboys in Week 17. The game will kickoff at 1:00 EST on Sunday, December 31 at Lincoln Financial Field in Philadelphia. Fans can watch the game on Fox.
The Eagles opened as 1-point favorites at home. However, early betting has heavily favored the Cowboys, who are now listed as 2.5-point favorites on the road. The over/under is listed at 41 points. Click here for a full list of the Week 17 betting odds and links to more game previews.
Eagles vs Cowboys Vegas Preview & Game Predictions
With a Christmas night win over the Raiders, the Eagles improved to 13-2 and clinched home-field advantage throughout the NFC playoffs. It wasn’t Philadelphia’s finest performance, as the offense sputtered under Nick Foles. But the Eagles got the win and now they have the option of resting their starters in Week 17 before the start of the playoffs.
The Cowboys, meanwhile, were knocked out of playoff contention with last week’s loss to the Seahawks. It’s been an up and down year for the 8-7 Cowboys, but owner Jerry Jones has said that Jason Garrett will return as the head coach next season. Meanwhile, Garrett says he has no intention of resting his starters in Week 17, as Dallas hopes to finish the season with a winning record despite missing the playoffs.
Dallas will also be seeking a little bit of redemption. When these two teams met in Week 11, the Eagles won 37-9, humiliating the Cowboys on their home field by sacking Dak Prescott four times and forcing four turnovers.
Free Pro Football Pick Against The Spread: Cowboys -2.5
I’m going to side with the betting public in this game and lean toward the Cowboys. The Eagles may or may not play a lot of their starters on Sunday. Meanwhile, the Cowboys will definitely want to win this game, even with nothing on the line. With Dallas being a little more motivated, I’ll take my chances with the Cowboys winning by at least a field goal.
Even if the Eagles play their starters, I have some concerns about them, most notably Foles. Despite a four-touchdown performance against the Giants a couple weeks ago, Foles struggled last week against the Raiders. He was just 19 for 38, averaging just 4.3 yards per pass attempt. He couldn’t get the ball to Alshon Jeffery and was overly reliant on tight end Zach Ertz.
Click on the link for more free NFL betting predictions from our experts on staff.
Oakland’s defense is average at best, so the fact that Foles couldn’t do much against them is a concern. Even with the Philadelphia defense forcing five turnovers, the Eagles only managed 19 points. That doesn’t give me a lot of confidence in the Philadelphia offense heading into Week 17, especially if a few starters are given some rest.
I’ve also been a little down on the Philadelphia defense in recent weeks. The Eagles have been susceptible to giving up the big play and a little sloppy against the run with some injuries to their linebackers. That tells me that they may not match up well with the Dallas offense. Ezekiel Elliott returned from suspension last week and nearly ran for 100 yards against a tough Seattle defense. He and Prescott could take advantage of a Philadelphia defense that could be vulnerable against the run.
Without knowing Philadelphia’s plans for resting starters it’s tough to handicap this game. But I’d be surprised if the Eagles didn’t rest some players. Meanwhile, I believe the Cowboys will give their best effort to win this game. That makes me a little more comfortable leaning toward Dallas in this game.
- Week 1 NFL Betting Lines: Vegas Point Spreads & Game Totals
- Predicting the 2018 NFL Draft: Mock 1st Round Selections
- Super Bowl 53 Betting Predictions: Favorites & Odds For Every Team
- Amount Bet on the Super Bowl & How Much Vegas Won
- Super Bowl Prop Bet Results
- Cost of Super Bowl Commercial Prices Over the Years (30-Seconds)
- Super Bowl Pool Gambling Games: 10×10-Square Grid & Prop Bet Sheet
- List of Available Prop Bets for Super Bowl 52
- Super Bowl Tickets Prices – Average Cost & How They Are Distributed
- Best Las Vegas Casinos/Sportsbooks to Bet & Watch the Super Bowl
- Super Bowl Sunday Party Ideas & Tips For Hosting the Big Game
- Complete History of the Super Bowl Curse & Host City
- Betting Super Bowl 52: Odds to Win the MVP Award
- History of the NFL Super Bowl Championship Rings
- Complete List of Players Who Have Won the Super Bowl MVP Trophy
- List of Quarterbacks With Multiple Super Bowl Starts
- Most Super Bowl Wins – NFL Teams With Multiple Rings & Championships
- Historical Super Bowl Lines: Past Las Vegas Point Spread & Totals
- Super Bowl Upsets – Top 5 Biggest Surprises in NFL History
- Super Bowl History – Look at the Worst Chokes of All-Time