The Oakland Raiders hope to keep their playoff hopes alive when they host the New York Giants in Week 13. Kickoff is set for 4:25 EST on Sunday, December 3 at the Oakland Coliseum. The game can be seen on Fox in local markets.
The Raiders are listed as 7-point favorites at home with an over/under of 42.5 points. Click here for a full list of the Week 13 betting odds and links to more game previews.
Giants vs Raiders Game Preview & Betting Odds
Oakland has had a topsy-turvy season, to say the least. But with wins in three of their last five games, the Raiders are very much alive in the playoff race. At 5-6, Oakland is a game behind Kansas City for the top spot in the AFC West and also a game back of the second wild-card spot. If they can find some consistency late in the season, a playoff spot is still possible.
The Giants, meanwhile, have officially given up on the season. After a Thanksgiving Day loss to Washington, the Giants have benched Eli Manning and will start Geno Smith at quarterback against the Raiders. At 2-9, it hasn’t mattered that much who plays quarterback for the Giants. But benching Manning isn’t likely to help their chances of winning games down the stretch.
Free NFL Pick Against the Spread: Raiders -7
The benching of Manning makes it easy to lean toward the Raiders in this game. Having Manning at quarterback still gave the Giants a fighting chance each week. But with Smith at quarterback, who knows what to expect out of the Giants. With the Raiders being at home with something to play for, I’ll take my chances with Oakland being able to cover.
Part of the problem with Smith at quarterback is that he hasn’t had any consistent playing time since the 2014 season. The other problem is that when he did start for the Jets early in his career, he wasn’t that good. For his career, Smith has thrown more interceptions than touchdowns and a subpar completion percentage. It’s hard to believe that nearly three years of riding the pine has changed that.
Click on the link for more free NFL betting predictions from our experts on staff.
It’s also important to keep in mind that many of New York’s top receivers are injured. The Giants have a lackluster running game and a receiving corps that isn’t going to intimidate too many teams. If Manning wasn’t able to overcome those shortcomings, there’s little chance that Smith will be able to do it either. Even against an Oakland defense that’s middle of the pack, the Raiders should be able to win on that side of the ball.
To be fair, the Oakland offense has also been erratic this season. Derek Carr has been up and down and so has Oakland’s rushing attack. The Raiders will also play this week without Michael Crabtree, who is suspended. They may also be without Amari Cooper, who is currently in the NFL’s concussion protocol. If both Crabtree and Cooper are unavailable, Carr could have a difficult time, even against a Giants defense that has had plenty of issues this season.
However, the fact that Smith is starting is enough for me to take my chances with Oakland winning by at least a touchdown. The Giants have lost four of their last five games, with all of those losses coming by at least 10 points. I have little reason to expect things to get better with Smith at quarterback. With the Raiders fighting for their playoff lives, I expect them to bring their best effort and beat the Giants by a comfortable margin.
- Week 1 NFL Betting Lines: Vegas Point Spreads & Game Totals
- Predicting the 2018 NFL Draft: Mock 1st Round Selections
- Super Bowl 53 Betting Predictions: Favorites & Odds For Every Team
- Amount Bet on the Super Bowl & How Much Vegas Won
- Super Bowl Prop Bet Results
- Cost of Super Bowl Commercial Prices Over the Years (30-Seconds)
- Super Bowl Pool Gambling Games: 10×10-Square Grid & Prop Bet Sheet
- List of Available Prop Bets for Super Bowl 52
- Super Bowl Tickets Prices – Average Cost & How They Are Distributed
- Best Las Vegas Casinos/Sportsbooks to Bet & Watch the Super Bowl
- Super Bowl Sunday Party Ideas & Tips For Hosting the Big Game
- Complete History of the Super Bowl Curse & Host City
- Betting Super Bowl 52: Odds to Win the MVP Award
- History of the NFL Super Bowl Championship Rings
- Complete List of Players Who Have Won the Super Bowl MVP Trophy
- List of Quarterbacks With Multiple Super Bowl Starts
- Most Super Bowl Wins – NFL Teams With Multiple Rings & Championships
- Historical Super Bowl Lines: Past Las Vegas Point Spread & Totals
- Super Bowl Upsets – Top 5 Biggest Surprises in NFL History
- Super Bowl History – Look at the Worst Chokes of All-Time