This Saturday two SEC East rivals will clash, as the South Carolina Gamecocks (2-0) host the Kentucky Wildcats (2-0). Kickoff is set for 7:30 EST at Williams-Brice Stadium and will be televised on the SEC Network.
Taking a peak at the Week 3 odds, we see that Kentucky is listed as a 6-point home favorite with the total at 50.5 points. It’s worth noting that the line has crossed the key number of 7, as it opened at 7.5.
Kentucky vs South Carolina Vegas Game Odds & Betting Preview
The Wildcats have won each of their first two games, but failed to cover either contest. The defeated Southern Miss on the road 24-17 as a 9-point favorite and Eastern Kentucky at home 27-16 as a massive 33-point favorite.
South Carolina is 2-0 and have won each of their first two as an underdog. The first came in a 35-28 win over NC State in Charlotte as a 8-point dog. The other was a 31-13 win over Missouri catching 2.5-points.
These two teams played in a defensive battle last year, with Kentucky pulling out a 17-10 win at home as a 2-point dog. That was the third straight win for the Wildcats against the Gamecocks. Kentucky had just 6 wins in the previous 22 matchups prior to their winning streak in the series.
Free College Football Pick Against the Spread: South Carolina -6
I would have to lean towards the Gamecocks laying less than a touchdown in this one. Keep in mind that this will be South Carolina’s home opener for 2017. The excitement level couldn’t be any higher for the fans after that 2-0 start. Add in the fact that the seniors on this team have never experienced a win over Kentucky and Williams-Brice is going to be rocking on Saturday night.
Click here for more free NCAA football picks from our experts on staff.
I know the box scores haven’t looked great for the Gamecocks. They were outgained by NC State 504 to 246 and also lost the yardage battle to Missouri 359 to 423. That’s the problem with only looking at the numbers. Watching this team, they not only look the part, but I could see them being a factor for the East title.
Let’s also not overlook who they have played. NC State is a team a lot of people were high on out of the ACC, who is suppose to have one of the best d-lines in the country. They then held Missouri to just 13 points, who has one of the more high-powered offenses in the SEC. The previous week the Tigers put up 72 on Missouri State with Locke throwing for 521 yards and 7 scores.
I actually look at it the other way and think how well this team has played without playing their best football. I think Jake Bentley is the real deal and will only get better during his sophomore season. They also have an electric play-maker in wide out Debby Samuel, who already has returned to kicks for scores.
On the flip side of this, Kentucky is a team that hasn’t looked good in their first two games. Talk about box scores, they were outgained 364 254 by Southern Miss and had just 12 first downs against a C-USA defense. They then struggle to put away a team that they were expected to beat by 30+ points. Note that Eastern Kentucky lost 17-31 to Western Kentucky and the Hilltoppers just got rolled 20-7 by Illinois this past weekend.
The combination of momentum and revenge is a scary thing in college football. Then you throw in it being your home opener in a night game. I could see this being close, but a more likely outcome in my mind is a comfortable win for South Carolina.
- 2018 NCAAF Playoff Odds: Betting Favorites & Future Predictions
- Vegas Preview: Alabama vs Georgia National Championship Game Free Pick
- The Ultimate College Football Bowl Handicapping Guide
- Oklahoma vs Auburn Sugar Bowl
- USC vs Penn State Rose Bowl
- Louisville vs LSU Citrus Bowl
- Washington vs Alabama Peach Bowl
- Florida vs Iowa Outback Bowl
- Michigan vs Florida State Orange Bowl
- Ohio State vs Clemson Fiesta Bowl
- Wake Forest vs Temple Military Bowl
- Betting Bowl Games: Handicapping Regular Season ATS Records
- Bowl Game Betting System: Are Teams With More Wins a Good Bet?
- TCU vs Georgia Liberty Bowl
- Georgia Tech vs Kentucky TaxSlayer Bowl
- Western Michigan vs Wisconsin Cotton Bowl
- Betting Against Bowl Teams Coming Off Blowout Loss
- South Alabama vs Air Force Arizona Bowl
- Tennessee vs Nebraska Music City Bowl
- Stanford vs North Carolina Sun Bowl