The New England Patriots are set to take on the Philadelphia Eagles in Super Bowl 52. Kickoff is set for 6:30 EST on Sunday, February 4th. The game will be played in Minneapolis, Minnesota at U.S. Bank Stadium (home of the Vikings).
Taking a look at the Super Bowl odds, New England opened as a 5.5-point favorite. While some books have stuck with the opening number, there are some books out there that have adjusted the number down to the Pats -5. The total opened at 46.5 and was quickly bet up to 48 at most books, with a few having jumped the mark to 48.5.
New England vs Philadelphia Super Bowl 52 Vegas Betting Preview
The Patriots punched their ticket to the big game in dramatic fashion. New England went into the AFC Championship Game as a hefty 7.5-point favorite (were even bigger favorites earlier in the week). It didn’t look good for the defending champs early on.
Jacksonville led 14-3 with less than 2 minutes to play in the 1st and had a 20-10 advantage with less than 9 minutes to play in the 4th quarter. To no surprise, the Patriots found away to rally in the closing minutes to take the lead and pull out the win 24-20.
Many expected the close game on Sunday to be the NFC title game game between the Vikings and Eagles, where Minnesota was a 3-point road favorite. The Vikings took the opening kick down the field for a TD and had the ball near midfield leading 7-0 before Case Keenum threw a pick-six to Patrick Robinson that changed the game for good. Minnesota wouldn’t score again and the Eagles cruised to a 38-7 victory behind backup quarterback Nick Foles.
The last time these two teams met on the field was Week 13 of the 2015 regular season. On that day the 4-7 Eagles went on the road and defeated the 10-2 Patriots 35-28 as a 9.5-point underdog.
It was the third meeting between the two franchises since they met in Super Bowl 39 back in 2005, which saw the Patriots squeak out a 24-21 as a 7-point favorite. That was the second of New England’s back-to-back titles and their third in four seasons. A feat they are trying to replicate with a win in Super Bowl 52.
Super Bowl LII Free Pick & Predictions: Patriots -5 over Eagles
My early lean would have to be laying the points with New England. As much respect as I have for the Eagles, I don’t know how you go against the Patriots in this scenario. On one side you have arguably both the greatest head coach (Bill Belichick) and quarterback (Tom Brady) to ever play the game.
On the other side you have a head coach (Doug Pederson) that is in just his second year as a head coach with a backup quarterback (Foles) filling in for a MVP candidate (Wentz).
I know the Patriots historically haven’t blown teams out in the Super Bowl, but it’s not asking a lot for New England to win here by 6 or more.
I think the experience factor for New England and having been here and handled all that comes with playing in a Super Bowl is a huge edge. I also think it’s a massive advantage any time you give Belichick two weeks to prepare for opponent.
I could see the public being on the Eagles and the points here, especially having just watched the Patriots struggle against the Jags and Philadelphia completely dominating the Vikings.
Couple things that you can’t overlook from those outcomes. The Patriots went up against the best defense in the NFL and Brady wasn’t 100%. Not to mention he played the majority of the game without his top weapon in Gronkowski.
As for the Eagles, I think they benefitted not only from playing at home in the underdog role, but I also think the Vikings suffered a major letdown after their miracle win over the Saints the week before.
Give Foles credit. He played a great game against the Vikings, but let’s not forget how much this offense struggled to move the ball in the Division Round against the Falcons, where they only managed 15 points. I’m not saying he won’t play well in the Super Bowl, I just wouldn’t be shocked if Belichick devised a game-plan that made life miserable for Foles and the Eagles.
- Updated 2018 NFL Win Total Numbers, Projections & Past Results
- Super Bowl 53 Betting Predictions: Favorites & Odds For Every Team
- Week 1 NFL Betting Lines: Vegas Point Spreads & Game Totals
- Predicting the 2018 NFL Draft: Mock 1st Round Selections
- Amount Bet on the Super Bowl & How Much Vegas Won
- Super Bowl Prop Bet Results
- Cost of Super Bowl Commercial Prices Over the Years (30-Seconds)
- Super Bowl Pool Gambling Games: 10×10-Square Grid & Prop Bet Sheet
- List of Available Prop Bets for Super Bowl 52
- Super Bowl Tickets Prices – Average Cost & How They Are Distributed
- Best Las Vegas Casinos/Sportsbooks to Bet & Watch the Super Bowl
- Super Bowl Sunday Party Ideas & Tips For Hosting the Big Game
- Complete History of the Super Bowl Curse & Host City
- Betting Super Bowl 52: Odds to Win the MVP Award
- History of the NFL Super Bowl Championship Rings
- Complete List of Players Who Have Won the Super Bowl MVP Trophy
- List of Quarterbacks With Multiple Super Bowl Starts
- Most Super Bowl Wins – NFL Teams With Multiple Rings & Championships
- Historical Super Bowl Lines: Past Las Vegas Point Spread & Totals
- Super Bowl Upsets – Top 5 Biggest Surprises in NFL History