The Minnesota Vikings will host the Green Bay Packers on Sunday Night Football in Week 2. This NFC North rivalry will kickoff at 8:30 EST U.S. Bank Stadium and will be televised on NBC. Oddsmakers have Green Bay as a 2-point road favorite and the total set at 43.5 points.
Packers vs Vikings Vegas Game Preview
Green Bay was able to hold on for a 27-23 win at Jacksonville in Week 1. The Packers were in a dog fight the entire way and had to hold off the Jags in the final seconds.
Two defensive touchdowns sparked a 25-16 win for the Vikings at Tennessee. Minnesota fell behind 10-0 and trailed 10-6 before the first of two scores by the defense. After that the Titans imploded and the Vikings pulled away.
These two teams split their season series last year. Minnesota won 20-13 at Green Bay and the Packers beat the Vikings 30-13 on the road.
Free Betting Pick & Predictions: UNDER 43.5
I don’t see a ton of value either way on the spread. I do think we are catching a good number on the total at 43.5. The fact that the Packers put up 27 points and Minnesota hung 25 will draw attention to the over. On top of that, the public loves to bet the over in these prime time games. I think oddsmakers are well aware of this and have inflated this number.
Click here for more free NFL betting advice from expert handicappers.
While Green Bay put up a big number, the offense was far from impressive. The Packers only had 294 yards of total offense. They struggled to get the run game going and Rodgers only had 199 yards passing. I just don’t think this unit is in sync like it was a couple of years ago.
It’s not going to be easy getting on track against this Minnesota defense. Mike Zimmer has turned the Vikings into one of the top defenses in the league in no time. Minnesota completely shutdown what most thought was going to be great Titans running game. I think Rodgers and company will struggle to get going, especially with this being on the road. Keep in mind this is the first regular season home game for the Vikings at their new stadium.
If you watched the Vikings game at all last week, you know the offense was a mess. Enough that they are already making the switch to Sam Bradford. While I like Bradford and how he fits with this team, I don’t expect him to play well. He’s not had enough time to learn the playbook and Minnesota will have to keep it simple. They are going to lean on the run game and hope their defense can make enough stops.
I look for a lot of punts in this game and when one of these teams does score, the defense is going to make them work. Touchdowns should be hard to come by for both teams.
Division games are typically lower-scoring. That’s certainly been the case for both of these teams. The Under is 4-1 in Green Bay’s last 5 against the NFC North and 9-2 in Minnesota’s last 11. Under is also 10-1 in the Vikings last 11 games against a team with a winning record.
- How to Use Most Frequent NFL Scores to Bet Over/Under Lines
- Pro Football Betting Lines By the Numbers: Against the Spread Results
- Top Secrets & Betting Tips to Successfully Handicap Pro Football
- NFL Schedule: Projected Division Standings, Playoffs & Super Bowl
- Super Bowl 52 Betting Predictions: Favorites & Odds For Every Team
- Pro Football Teaser Payouts & Betting Odds: 6-pt, 6.5-pt, 7-pt & 10-Pt
- Handicapping NFL 2nd Half Lines & Tips on Middling Your Original Bet
- Betting NFL Totals Week to Week: Find out When to Bet the Over & Under
- Tips for Handicapping Pro Football Player Values Against the Spread
- Tips & Advice for Betting NFL Teams Before & After Their Bye Weeks
- NFL Week 1 by the Numbers: Handicapping Last Year’s Super Bowl Teams
- Free NFL Week 1 Betting Tips, System & Expert Strategies
- Betting NFL Win Totals by Looking at Last Year’s Turnover Differential
- Top 5 NFL ATS Records All-Time: Best Bets (Teams) Pro Football History
- Updated 2017 NFL Win Total Numbers, Projections & Past Results
- Week 1 NFL Football Betting Lines: Point Spreads & Totals
- What Players Were Invited to the NFL Draft in 2017
- List of the Greatest NFL Draft Sleepers of All-Time
- Predicting the 2017 NFL Draft: Mock 1st Round Selections
- NFL Scoring by Quarter: Highest & Average Per Game