Handicapping during bowl season is distinct from handicapping college football during the regular season.
Teams take on unfamiliar matchups, there are different motivational factors in play, some teams have longer layoffs, and more.
Our goal this season and every season is to help you prepare for betting on CFB bowl games and guide you toward profitable situations.
There is no one winning strategy to turning a profit on bowl games, however, with this guide to handicapping bowl games we know you can increase your winning percentage.
Winning Bowl Betting Systems: Situational Advantages
These articles highlight situations that only tend to arise during bowl season. The focus is finding spots where teams are in positions they are not used to and have a difficult time adjusting to them.
- How Teams Perform in Bowl Games Off of a Blowout Loss – This article shows how teams fare against the spread when their last game of the regular season or, in some cases, their conference championship game ended with them losing in blowout fashion.
- How Conference Championship Winners & Losers Perform in Bowl Games – Here we examine the historical bowl performances of winners and losers of conference championship games.
- ATS Records Based on Days of Rest Prior to Bowl Game – Rest is an extremely important factor in any sport, but it takes a different form in bowl games, where many teams experience extra long layoffs. This is a great look at how this impacts performance.
Comparing Conferences During Bowl Season
A major component to handicapping bowl games is taking conferences into consideration. These articles look at the historical performances of different conferences in different bowl situations.
- Bowl Game Performance by Conference – A detailed breakdown of each conference’s bowl performance against the point spread.
- How Teams With Better Records Than Their Oppnents Perform in Bowl Games – This article starts by showing how teams with better regular season records than their opponents fare in bowl games, but concludes that conference is the most important factor to consider in these situations.
Handicapping College Bowl Odds & Regular Season ATS Records
The articles in this section aim to find specific situations where the bowl odds themselves can tell us a lot about a matchup. It may also be worth exploring how good and bad teams against the spread end up doing in their bowl games.
- How Double-Digit Favorites Fare in Bowl Games – Finding out whether or not double-digit favorites perform any bettor or worse than single-digit favorites in bowl games.
More Bowl Betting Strategies
- Heisman Winners Performance in Bowl Games – A look at how heisman winners and their teams have performed in bowl games.