The Super Bowl has become a larger than life event. When the New England Patriots face off against the Atlanta Falcons in Super Bowl LI all eyes will be on the big game. Most will be tuned in to see who wins on the field. As you know, that’s not all that’s worth watching.
For the majority of the year, most of will do whatever we can do to avoid commercials. Not so much in the Super Bowl. This is the one time, where we get excited for a break in the action. Given how many people are tuning in, advertisers pull out all the stops.
They hype around commercials started with Super Bowl XVII. That was the year Apple introduced the “1984” commercial. It advertised the Macintosh computer by playing George Orwell’s Book “1984.” Since that point, the creativity has only got better.
So much attention is given to commercials, they remain a topic of conversation for days. Online and print media alike now go as far as critiquing the best and worst Super Bowl ads.
In recent years, Budweiser has been both the king of beers and the king of creative Super Bowl ads.
Ever wonder what a commercial slot during the Super Bowl costs? Well, this year the FOX TV network, which is broadcasting the game, has been asking for upwards of $5.0 million for 30 seconds of ad time. Let me do some simple math for ya. That’s roughly $166,666 per second of TV time.
That’s pretty much right on par with what we saw last year. Though final numbers could have it slightly more than 2016. Keep in mind just two years ago (2015) the price was $4.5 million. That was a significant jump from 2014’s price mark of $4.0 million. It wasn’t even until 1994 that we first saw a 30-second add go for $1.0 million.
But if you think that’s a lot of money, it’s nothing compared to how much is bet on the Super Bowl.
You also have to keep in mind that the $5 million asking price is just to get the 30-second slot time. It doesn’t factor in the cost of producing the commercial, which for most companies is another $1.0 million.
Here’s a detailed look at how prices have inflated over the years.
History of Super Bowl Commercial Prices (30 second ad)
- Giants vs Redskins
- Vegas NFL Betting Preview & Game Free Pick: Chargers vs Cowboys
- Vikings vs Lions
- Super Bowl 52 Betting Predictions: Favorites & Odds For Every Team
- Week 12 NFL Betting Lines: Vegas Point Spreads & Game Totals
- Favorites Dominate NFL Thanksgiving Day Games
- Free NFL Game Preview & ATS Pick: Patriots vs Raiders
- Vegas Game Preview: Bengals vs Broncos Game Preview & Pick
- Vegas Betting Preview & Game Odds: Jags vs Browns Free ATS Pick
- Vegas NFL Game Preview: Eagles vs Cowboys
- Vegas Game Preview: Buccaneers vs Dolphins Game Preview & Pick
- Free NFL Game Preview & ATS Pick: Chiefs vs Giants
- Vegas NFL Game Preview: Bills vs Chargers
- Bears vs Lions
- Seahawks vs Falcons
- NFL Game Odds & Vegas Betting Preview: Cardinals vs Texans
- Vegas NFL Game Preview & Free ATS Pick: Redskins vs Saints
- NFL Game Odds & Free Betting Preview: Rams vs Vikings ATS Pick
- Vegas NFL Betting Preview & Game Odds: Ravens vs Packers Free Pick
- Free Week 11 NFL Teaser Pick – Best Available Odds & Predictions