The Super Bowl has become a larger than life event. When the New England Patriots face off against the Atlanta Falcons in Super Bowl LI all eyes will be on the big game. Most will be tuned in to see who wins on the field. As you know, that’s not all that’s worth watching.
For the majority of the year, most of will do whatever we can do to avoid commercials. Not so much in the Super Bowl. This is the one time, where we get excited for a break in the action. Given how many people are tuning in, advertisers pull out all the stops.
They hype around commercials started with Super Bowl XVII. That was the year Apple introduced the “1984” commercial. It advertised the Macintosh computer by playing George Orwell’s Book “1984.” Since that point, the creativity has only got better.
So much attention is given to commercials, they remain a topic of conversation for days. Online and print media alike now go as far as critiquing the best and worst Super Bowl ads.
In recent years, Budweiser has been both the king of beers and the king of creative Super Bowl ads.
Ever wonder what a commercial slot during the Super Bowl costs? Well, this year the FOX TV network, which is broadcasting the game, has been asking for upwards of $5.0 million for 30 seconds of ad time. Let me do some simple math for ya. That’s roughly $166,666 per second of TV time.
That’s pretty much right on par with what we saw last year. Though final numbers could have it slightly more than 2016. Keep in mind just two years ago (2015) the price was $4.5 million. That was a significant jump from 2014’s price mark of $4.0 million. It wasn’t even until 1994 that we first saw a 30-second add go for $1.0 million.
But if you think that’s a lot of money, it’s nothing compared to how much is bet on the Super Bowl.
You also have to keep in mind that the $5 million asking price is just to get the 30-second slot time. It doesn’t factor in the cost of producing the commercial, which for most companies is another $1.0 million.
Here’s a detailed look at how prices have inflated over the years.
History of Super Bowl Commercial Prices (30 second ad)
- How to Use Most Frequent NFL Scores to Bet Over/Under Lines
- Pro Football Betting Lines By the Numbers: Against the Spread Results
- Top Secrets & Betting Tips to Successfully Handicap Pro Football
- NFL Schedule: Projected Division Standings, Playoffs & Super Bowl
- Super Bowl 52 Betting Predictions: Favorites & Odds For Every Team
- Pro Football Teaser Payouts & Betting Odds: 6-pt, 6.5-pt, 7-pt & 10-Pt
- Handicapping NFL 2nd Half Lines & Tips on Middling Your Original Bet
- Betting NFL Totals Week to Week: Find out When to Bet the Over & Under
- Tips for Handicapping Pro Football Player Values Against the Spread
- Tips & Advice for Betting NFL Teams Before & After Their Bye Weeks
- NFL Week 1 by the Numbers: Handicapping Last Year’s Super Bowl Teams
- Free NFL Week 1 Betting Tips, System & Expert Strategies
- Betting NFL Win Totals by Looking at Last Year’s Turnover Differential
- Top 5 NFL ATS Records All-Time: Best Bets (Teams) Pro Football History
- Updated 2017 NFL Win Total Numbers, Projections & Past Results
- Week 1 NFL Football Betting Lines: Point Spreads & Totals
- What Players Were Invited to the NFL Draft in 2017
- List of the Greatest NFL Draft Sleepers of All-Time
- Predicting the 2017 NFL Draft: Mock 1st Round Selections
- NFL Scoring by Quarter: Highest & Average Per Game