As we look forward to this year’s Super Bowl, I wanted to look back at some of the biggest upsets in NFL history. The list was complied mostly from games where teams won outright as huge underdogs. However, that’s not all we looked at. We also took into account teams not expected to win that had tremendous performances. Let’s get right into the list!
List of the Top 5 Biggest Upset Stories in Super Bowl History
5. Super Bowl XXXII – Broncos beat the Packers
The Green Bay Packers were double-digit favorites. The Packers had All-Pro and Future Hall of Fame QB Brett Favre. This was suppose to be the year Green Bay finally won their 3rd Super Bowl. It wasn’t meant to be. The Broncos, who made the playoffs as a Wild Card, won 31-24. Denver had John Elway at quarterback, but it was RB Terrell Davis that stole the show. Davis won MVP honors behind a 157-yards rushing. On the bright side for Packers, they returned to the Super Bowl and won it all the next year.
4. Super Bowl XXVI – Patriots beat the Rams
The New England Patriots were a two-touchdown underdog to the St. Louis Rams. The Rams at that time were known as the “Greatest Show on Turf.” St Louis came in having won by average of nearly 14-points/game. At that time the Patriots weren’t really a well-known commodity. At least not to the point they are today. New England shocked the world and won 20-17 on a 48-yard field goal by Adam Vinatieri.
3. Super Bowl XXV – Giants beat the Bills
Sorry Bills fans, but you knew you were going to be on this list. Buffalo was only a 7-point favorite going into their showdown against the Giants. However, almost no one was giving New York a shot in this game. Jim Kelly and the Bills’ no-huddle offense looked unstoppable. While the offense wasn’t on it’s game, things were looking good for Buffalo to win. That was until Scott Norwood missed a game-winning field goal in the final seconds.
2. Super Bowl XLII – Giants beat the Patriots
This one figures to be fresh in the memory of a lot of NFL fans. The New England Patriots finished the 2007 season a perfect 16-0 in the regular season. They were 18-0 and looking to be the first team to finish 19-0 when they faced the Giants. New York was a 14-point underdog and no one was giving them a chance here. Keep in mind the Giants were on an improbable run through the playoffs. The Giants were able to keep the high-flying Patriots offense in check. Thanks to their outstanding defensive front. New England was still in position to win. That is until that amazing catch by David Tyree on New York’s game-winning drive.
1. Super Bowl III – Jets beat the Baltimore Colts
I’m sure you all know the greatest Super Bowl upset of all time. Way back in Super Bowl III, Namath’s Jets took on the mighty Baltimore Colts. The Jets were an 18-point underdog when this line dropped and were 20-point dogs by kickoff. That didn’t stop Mr. Namath from guaranteeing victory and delivering a 16-7 win. It’s still the only Super Bowl win in Jets history.
- Week 1 NFL Betting Lines: Vegas Point Spreads & Game Totals
- Predicting the 2018 NFL Draft: Mock 1st Round Selections
- Super Bowl 53 Betting Predictions: Favorites & Odds For Every Team
- Amount Bet on the Super Bowl & How Much Vegas Won
- Super Bowl Prop Bet Results
- Cost of Super Bowl Commercial Prices Over the Years (30-Seconds)
- Super Bowl Pool Gambling Games: 10×10-Square Grid & Prop Bet Sheet
- List of Available Prop Bets for Super Bowl 52
- Super Bowl Tickets Prices – Average Cost & How They Are Distributed
- Best Las Vegas Casinos/Sportsbooks to Bet & Watch the Super Bowl
- Super Bowl Sunday Party Ideas & Tips For Hosting the Big Game
- Complete History of the Super Bowl Curse & Host City
- Betting Super Bowl 52: Odds to Win the MVP Award
- History of the NFL Super Bowl Championship Rings
- Complete List of Players Who Have Won the Super Bowl MVP Trophy
- List of Quarterbacks With Multiple Super Bowl Starts
- Most Super Bowl Wins – NFL Teams With Multiple Rings & Championships
- Historical Super Bowl Lines: Past Las Vegas Point Spread & Totals
- Super Bowl History – Look at the Worst Chokes of All-Time
- Super Bowl Betting Tips & Handicapping Guideline