The Super Bowl MVP Award is given to the most valuable player in the championship game. It’s an honor unlike any other and can turn a regular player into a super star.
At the bottom of this article is a full table that list every MVP winner in Super Bowl History. I also take a quick look at the players who have won the award more than once. As well, as how the award is broken down by position.
Voting is calculated using two different methods. The majority of the vote (80%) comes from a panel of writers and broadcasters. The other 20% is from a fan vote that takes place during the game. If you want to be a part of the action, you can vote via text message or on the internet. The viewers inclusion in the voting was first introduced in the 2001 Super Bowl. Find out who is the favorite to win this year by checking out our Super Bowl MVP odds page.
Multiple Super Bowl MVP Winners
As you can see, only 5 players have been able to win the award more than once. At the top of the list is Tom Brady with 4, who just surpassed Joe Montana. Brady got his 4th MVP trophy in style. Not only did he guide the greatest comeback in Super Bowl history (25 points). He set an NFL record with 466 passing yards. The only other active player with more than one Super Bowl MVP is Eli Manning.
As for the other two guys on the list, they have a claim no one else can match. Terry Bradshaw and Bart Starr are the only players to win the award in consecutive seasons.
|Player||MVP Trophies||Super Bowls|
|Tom Brady||4||XXXVI, XXXVIII, XLIX, LI|
|Joe Montana||3||XVI, XIX, XXIV|
|Bart Starr||2||I, II|
|Terry Bradshaw||2||XIII, XIV|
|Eli Manning||2||XLII, XLVI|
Super Bowl MVPs By Position
Given how much we talk about the quarterback position, it’s really no surprise that it’s the one that gets all the recognition when things go well. There have been 52 MVP awards given out. Why 52 when only 51 Super Bowls? There were co-MVP’s in 1978. Of those 52 winners, 28 have been given to the quarterback. That’s 54% of the time the QB of the winning team receives the prize.
With that said, we have seen two defensive players win the award in the last 4 years. Linebacker, Malcolm Smith of the Seahawks won it in 2014. It happened again in 2016. Broncos linebacker, Von Miller, took home the trophy with an incredible performance.
Even with the recent trend favoring the defense, the MVP has still gone to a QB in 6 of the last 8 seasons. I see no reason to expect this trend not to continue. Especially with how the NFL keeps becoming more and more of a passing league.
Note that the position second on the list is running back with 7. We haven’t had a RB win the MVP since Terrell Davis in 1998.
|Kick Returner/Punt Returner||1|
List of Super Bowl MVP Winners
|VIII||Larry Csonka||Dolphins||Running Back|
|IX||Franco Harris||Steelers||Running Back|
|X||Lynn Swann||Steelers||Wide Receiver|
|XI||Fred Biletnikoff||Raiders||Wide Receiver|
|XII||Harvey Martin/Randy White||Cowboys||Defensive end|
|XVII||John Riggins||Redskins||Running Back|
|XVIII||Marcus Allen||LA Raiders||Running Back|
|XX||Richard Dent||Bears||Defensive end|
|XXIII||Jerry Rice||49ers||Wide Receiver|
|XXV||Ottis Anderson||Giants||Running Back|
|XXVIII||Emmitt Smith||Cowboys||Running Back|
|XXXI||Desmond Howard||Packers||Kick Returner|
|XXXII||Terrell Davis||Broncos||Running Back|
|XXXIX||Deion Branch||Patriots||Wide Receiver|
|XL||Hines Ward||Steelers||Wide Receiver|
|XLIII||Santonio Holmes||Steelers||Wide Receiver|
- Pro Football Teaser Payouts & Betting Odds: 6-pt, 6.5-pt, 7-pt & 10-Pt
- Handicapping NFL 2nd Half Lines & Tips on Middling Your Original Bet
- Betting NFL Totals Week to Week: Find out When to Bet the Over & Under
- Tips for Handicapping Pro Football Player Values Against the Spread
- Tips & Advice for Betting NFL Teams Before & After Their Bye Weeks
- NFL Week 1 by the Numbers: Handicapping Last Year’s Super Bowl Teams
- Free NFL Week 1 Betting Tips, System & Expert Strategies
- Betting NFL Win Totals by Looking at Last Year’s Turnover Differential
- Top 5 NFL ATS Records All-Time: Best Bets (Teams) Pro Football History
- Updated 2017 NFL Win Total Numbers, Projections & Past Results
- Week 1 NFL Football Betting Lines: Point Spreads & Totals
- Super Bowl 52 Betting Predictions: Favorites & Odds For Every Team
- What Players Were Invited to the NFL Draft in 2017
- List of the Greatest NFL Draft Sleepers of All-Time
- Predicting the 2017 NFL Draft: Mock 1st Round Selections
- NFL Scoring by Quarter: Highest & Average Per Game
- Packers vs Lions
- Most Super Bowl Wins – NFL Teams With Multiple Rings & Championships
- Amount Bet on the Super Bowl & How Much Vegas Won
- List of Quarterbacks With Multiple Super Bowl Starts