How much is it worth to each team in the NHL to play on their home ice? It is common knowledge that playing at home is an advantage to teams in every sport, but what is not as clear is how much of an advantage it is.
We looked at every regular season NHL game since 2006 to find out how teams performed at home versus on the road. We looked at their margin of victory/loss in each situation, then compared them to find exactly how many goals playing on home ice is worth.
If you are looking for the most simple answer to the question of how much home ice is worth, it’s about 0.28 goals per game, which is the average of every NHL team since 2006. To us that simply doesn’t go far enough. Each team is unique in their location, arena configuration, and fanbase, so each team should have a different home ice advantage.
We found the true home advantage for each team and listed it below. The important thing to remember here is that this doesn’t show us who the best home teams are (you can find that by simply looking at their record and margin of victory at home), what it tells us is which teams have the biggest advantage playing at home compared to on the road. There are some very good hockey franchises listed near the bottom of the table. All that this means is that those teams play well both at home and on the road. The teams at the top of the table play significantly better on their home ice than when they hit the road.
NHL Home Ice Advantage by Team
|Team||Home Record||Home Margin||Road Record||Road Margin||Ice Advantage|
Home Advantage in Other Sports
- Strategy to Gambling on NFL Football Teaser Cards & Winning Payouts
- Gambling on NCAA Football Teaser Cards & Best Strategies for Profiting
- Compare NCAA Basketball & NBA Teaser Payouts at Top Online Books
- Expert MLB Handicapping Guide: How to Bet & Profit on Pro Baseball
- Top Money Management Tips & Systems for Sports Gambling
- Understanding Correlated Parlays: How to Find & Profit in Each Sport
- Standard Deviations of Over/Under Margins by Total
- Standard Deviations of ATS Margins by Totals – NBA, NFL, NCAAB & NCAAF
- Understanding Betting Odds & Payouts on Multi-Team Parlay Tickets
- What’s the Right Move: Should You be Hedging Parlays in Sports Betting
- Why You Shouldn’t Listen to Your Gut When Placing a Sports Bet
- Vegas Odds Makers Accuracy: Standard Deviations by Point Spread
- MLB Systems & Strategies for Betting on Baseball Underdogs
- Key Numbers to Look for When Making Bets on MLB Over/Under Totals
- How to Improve Your MLB Betting by Avoiding These Common Mistakes
- Information on How to Bet MLB Series Prices During Baseball Season
- Look at How Weather Can Affect the Betting Outcome of Baseball Games
- How to Win More Bets With our MLB Parlay Betting System & Strategies
- Money Line to Break Even Win Percentage Conversion Table
- Best Home Court Advantage in College Basketball by Points