How much is it worth to each team in the NHL to play on their home ice? It is common knowledge that playing at home is an advantage to teams in every sport, but what is not as clear is how much of an advantage it is.
We looked at every regular season NHL game since 2006 to find out how teams performed at home versus on the road. We looked at their margin of victory/loss in each situation, then compared them to find exactly how many goals playing on home ice is worth.
If you are looking for the most simple answer to the question of how much home ice is worth, it’s about 0.28 goals per game, which is the average of every NHL team since 2006. To us that simply doesn’t go far enough. Each team is unique in their location, arena configuration, and fanbase, so each team should have a different home ice advantage.
We found the true home advantage for each team and listed it below. The important thing to remember here is that this doesn’t show us who the best home teams are (you can find that by simply looking at their record and margin of victory at home), what it tells us is which teams have the biggest advantage playing at home compared to on the road. There are some very good hockey franchises listed near the bottom of the table. All that this means is that those teams play well both at home and on the road. The teams at the top of the table play significantly better on their home ice than when they hit the road.
NHL Home Ice Advantage by Team
|Team||Home Record||Home Margin||Road Record||Road Margin||Ice Advantage|
Home Advantage in Other Sports
- Money Line to Break Even Win Percentage Conversion Table
- Best Home Court Advantage in College Basketball by Points
- How to Handicap Sporting Events
- Sports Betting Myths
- Best Betting Guide with Tips on How to Handicap NCAA Basketball
- The Complete Guide to Handicapping Major League Baseball
- How to Handicap Weather in Baseball
- Common Mistakes When Handicapping Baseball
- MLB Series Betting
- Betting Underdogs in Baseball
- Baseball Parlay Strategies
- Key Numbers for MLB Totals
- Situational Handicapping
- Home Field Advantage By Sport
- Correlated Sides & Totals for Parlay Betting
- Compare Basketball Teaser Odds & Payouts
- The Ultimate College Football Handicapping Guidebook
- Sports Betting Money Management
- Arbitrage Betting