There are many different styles of bettors and not every one of them fits each of the top guys. If you are more selective then I want you to find the one who puts out only a few, top bets each weekend. If you like action, then I'm going to help you find a volume capper who releases a lot of CFB picks each weekend.
Here are the top tipsters we have found over the long haul. These guys have impressive records dating back several years and have large sample sizes to view. This gives us the confidence that they know what they are doing and can keep producing profits for clients year after year.
You can also check out our free college football picks page to see who they have this week as a lower-rated play, and possibly some analysis as to what went into their selection. This can be a great way to see who thinks like you do and would be a good fit to follow.
Top College Football Handicapper Rankings Over the Past Several Years
This Season's Leaderboard of Best CFB Bettors in 2023
College football has a lot to keep track of with over 100 teams and ever-changing rosters. This presents a unique challenge for handicappers. While data and statistics are undeniably crucial, the importance of watching games and understanding the potential of incoming recruits cannot be overstated. Here’s a deep dive into the techniques and strategies employed by successful college football handicappers, emphasizing the significance of firsthand game analysis and recruit evaluation.
1. The Art of Watching Games
While statistics provide a quantitative measure of a team’s performance, watching games offers qualitative insights that numbers alone can’t capture. Here’s why watching games is indispensable when doing any college football handicapping:
- Game Flow Understanding: Statistics might tell you a team won by 20 points, but watching the game reveals if it was a close contest until the last quarter or a dominant performance throughout.
- Player Evaluation: Seeing players in action helps assess their skills, decision-making, and adaptability in various game situations.
- Team Dynamics: Observing player interactions, sideline demeanor, and coaching decisions provides insights into team morale and chemistry.
- Tactical Analysis: Watching games allows handicappers to understand team strategies, offensive and defensive schemes, and in-game adjustments made by coaches.
2. The Significance of Evaluating Recruits
College football sees a constant influx of new talent. Understanding the potential of these incoming players is paramount for several reasons:
- Immediate Impact Players: Some recruits, especially five-star ones, can make an immediate impact. Knowing which freshmen are likely to start or play significant roles can influence a team’s performance predictions.
- Depth and Future Potential: Not all recruits shine in their first year. However, they add depth to the roster and can be game-changers in subsequent seasons. A team with a strong recruiting class might not excel immediately but has a bright future.
- Positional Needs: A team might have lost its star quarterback to graduation but recruited one of the nation’s top QB prospects. Recognizing such positional replacements is crucial.
3. Integrating Game Analysis with Data
Successful handicappers merge their observations from watching games with statistical analysis. For instance, if a team’s defensive line looked dominant in a game, does the data (like sacks, tackles for loss) support that observation?
4. Understanding Team Styles and Matchups
By watching games, handicappers can discern a team’s style of play. Is a team run-heavy or does it rely on aerial attacks? Knowing these styles is crucial for predicting matchups. A stout run defense might neutralize a run-first offense, for instance.
5. Monitoring Injuries and Player Availability
While injury reports provide updates, watching games can reveal the severity of an injury or how well a backup player performed in a starter’s absence.
6. Recognizing Intangibles
There are moments in games, like a crucial fourth-down stop or a game-winning drive, that reveal a team’s character. Such intangibles, often not captured in statistics, can be pivotal in close contests.
7. Emphasizing Conference Dynamics
Each college football conference has its style and strengths. Watching games helps handicappers understand these dynamics, essential for inter-conference matchups or bowl games.
8. Adapting to Seasonal Progression
Teams evolve over a season. By continuously watching games, handicappers can track improvements, regressions, or tactical shifts, adjusting their predictions accordingly.
9. Engaging with Recruit Rankings and Analysis
Several platforms rank college football recruits, providing analysis, highlights, and potential projections. Engaging with these platforms helps handicappers gauge the potential impact of these new players.
10. Attending High School Games or Showcases
For those deeply committed to understanding recruits, attending high school games or showcases offers firsthand insights into a player’s skills, attitude, and potential fit in college programs.
11. Continuous Learning and Networking
The college football landscape is vast. Handicappers benefit from networking with other experts, sharing observations, and continuously learning about teams, players, and strategies.
In conclusion, while data-driven analysis is a cornerstone of college football betting, the importance of watching games and understanding recruits is paramount. These qualitative insights, combined with quantitative metrics, provide a holistic view of the college football landscape. Successful handicappers recognize this balance, leveraging both data and firsthand observations to make informed predictions in the dynamic and passionate world of college football.